General FAQs

We have collected the most frequently asked question for your convenience. Simply click on a question to jump to the answer or browse the FAQs by scrolling down the page.

About 24/7 Sports Insurance

General Queries

About Our Liabilities Insurance Product


Paying for your Policy

After you purchase – what happens next?

Managing your Insurance Policy

Amending your details

Renewing your policy

Claiming on your insurance

Cancelling my policy

If you have a problem or would like to give feedback

Questions about our company

Our FAQs are focused mainly on the insurance that we provide. If you have questions about our company, you may find the answers on our About Us page...

About Us

Still got questions?

If you can't find the answer to your question on this page, please feel free to...

Contact Us

About 24/7 Sports Insurance

  • What is 24/7 Sports Insurance?

    24/7 Sports Insurance is a product offered by Howden. Howden is one of the largest independent insurance brokers in the UK. The Howden Sports and Recreation team provides advice and assistance to more than 300 National Governing & Representative Bodies of Sport and Recreation, and more than 3 million individual participants throughout the UK. Our experience is such that we are able to provide a flexible service so as to cater for the complex but uniquely different needs of those involved in Sport and Recreation.

  • I can't find your FCA accreditation – why?

    24/7 Sports Insurance is a product offered by Howden. Howden is a trading name of Howden Insurance Brokers Limited, part of the Howden Group Holdings Limited. Howden Insurance Brokers Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of general insurance business. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 725875. Registered Office: One Creechurch Place, London, EC3A 5AF. Calls may be monitored and recorded for quality assurance purposes.

General Queries

  • What if I change my mind after I have bought the policy?

    If within the first 14 days of incepting cover you decide that the policy does not meet your requirements, you may cancel the policy and we will give you a full refund of the premium and treat the policy as if it never existing providing no claims have been reported. If you decide to cancel the policy at any time thereafter, you may do so by giving us 30 days’ notice in writing of your intention to do so. We will give you a refund for the unexpired period of cover provided no claims have been notified under the insurance. If you want to cancel your policy please email us at

  • What do I do if I lose my policy?

    Your policy documents are sent by email at the time of purchase but also held within your online account for access at your convenience. All you need to do is log-in with your email address and your personal password. You can download to your computer or print off as required.

    If you prefer, we are able to send paper copies on request

  • What happens if I fail to disclose something important?

    You owe a duty to make a fair presentation of the risk to the insurer. You have a duty to disclose to the insurer every material circumstance which you know or ought to know after a reasonable search or which is sufficient to put the insurer on notice that it needs to make further enquiries for the purpose of revealing those material circumstances. In addition you have a duty to disclose information in a clear and accessible manner.

    A circumstance is material if it would influence a prudent insurer’s judgment in determining whether to take the risk and, if so, on what terms.

    Failure to disclose a material circumstance may entitle an insurer to:

    • in some circumstances, avoid the policy from inception and in this event any claims under the policy would not be paid;
    • impose different terms on your cover; and/or
    • reduce the amount of any claim payable.

    This duty applies:

    • before your cover is placed;
    • when it is renewed; and
    • at any time that it is varied.
  • What is an ERN number?

    An ERN (Employer Reference Number) is a unique number given to any organisation that registers employees with H.M Revenue and Customs. You may find it referred to on Tax forms as an Employer PAYE reference. Under legislation, insurers are required to record this number.

  • I've read I should carry out a risk assessment. I've never done one before, what should I do?

    You should refer to the 5 steps system described on the HSE website. You will find generic risk assessment templates to assist you.

  • How do you use my data?

    Howden will use your data primarily to evaluate and process your application for insurance and administer your policy. For more information how your data is used please read the Privacy Policy

About Our Liabilities Insurance Product

  • What is Sports Liability Insurance?

    The Sports Liability Insurance may provide protection for the following dependent upon the information you have provided and the nature of your organisation:

    • Public & Products Liability: covers the cost if, as a result of your activities, you injure a third party or cause damage their property
    • Professional Indemnity: Loss (financial or otherwise) arising out of Errors and Omissions. For example, bad advice (instruction/coaching) or failure to act
    • Libel and Slander: Loss arising in the event of you inadvertently libelling / slandering for example on your websites or emails
    • Abuse: Protection for your organisation in the event of damages being awarded against the organisation following proven abuse, both physical and mental bullying (the alleged individual perpetrator does not receive any cover)
    • Management Liability: Protection for directors, officers and senior managers against claims arising from their decisions or actions taken whilst managing the organisation. The committee members and officers are personally liable for their decisions
    • Employers' Liability: Legal liability following death or bodily injury to employees in the course of their employment. Cover includes volunteers carrying out tasks on behalf of the organisation
  • How is Employers' Liability different to Public Liability?

    Employers' Liability protects employers in the event of an injury to an employee in circumstances where the employer is legally responsible. Public Liability protects the instructor or club where a member or member of the public is injured or their property is damaged and the injury or damage is caused by the club or instructor.

  • We only have unpaid volunteers, do we need Employers' Liability?

    Under British law you can still be called an employee even if you are not paid. Our advice would always be to ensure Employers' Liability insurance is in place.

    As you may know, you are required by Law to have Employers' Liability Insurance for the people you employ. Obviously that includes anyone you pay a wage to, however the law casts its net wide in making you liable for injury to persons you may not normally think of as employees. The definition of 'employee' includes labour only sub-contractors, hired or borrowed persons, persons undertaking study or work experience, and volunteers.

    In general, our advice is that you need Employers' Liability Insurance for someone who works for you if any of the following applies:

    • You have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it.
    • You supply most materials and equipment.
    • You have the right to any profit your workers make, although you may choose to share this with them through commission, performance pay or shares in the company. Similarly, you will be responsible for any losses.
    • You require that person only to deliver the service and they cannot employ a substitute if they are unable to do the work.
    • You deduct National Insurance and Income Tax from the money you pay them.

    (these definitions are as per the HSE Guidelines which can be found at )

  • Why do I need Professional Indemnity?

    Professional Indemnity provides cover for negligent advice. If you are coaching, for example, you would need this protection. A standard Public Liability policy will have a specific exclusion in respect of advice given, particularly if that advice is charged for in any way.

  • Why do I need Libel and Slander?

    Issues can arise from comments innocently made on your web sites, in articles, at committee or disciplinary meetings, or emails written which could potentially be libellous.

  • If I am a Committee member what protection do I get?

    As a Committee or constituted club member you may not appreciate that civil law makes you personally responsible for the liability of your club and the actions of you and potentially your members. Sports Liability provides Management Liability cover in order to protect you if you are sued for a negligent decision. As an example we frequently have claims following internal disciplinary disputes leading to exclusion of a member/ or coach. This can lead to legal action for failing to follow the club constitution, or the current human rights legislation.

  • What is 'Claims Made'?

    If cover is written on a 'Claims Made' basis there has to be a policy in force at the time of which the incident was first reported to insurers and also at the time the activity was undertaken regardless of when the incident occurred. Once the policy is cancelled no cover will be provided for claims that are notified after the date of cancellation. All potential claims and incidents should be reported immediately and a Declaration of Incidents would be required at renewal.

  • What is Claims Occurred?

    If cover is written on a 'Claims Occurred' basis incidents occurring during the period of insurance are insured regardless of when the claim is reported. This means that even if a policy is lapsed at a later date a claim can still be notified under the policy that was in existence at the time the incident occurred. It is particularly important to ensure that policy documents are never thrown away, but held in a place of safekeeping. It is also important to ensure that adequate Limits of Indemnity are purchased to reflect the possibility of a claim being made some time in the future.

  • Does the cover include any legal expenses?

    Sports Liability provides the legal costs and expenses in connection with defending you for claims where either injury or damage to property is alleged. It also includes expenses for the defence of employment practices disputes where you are a Director, Officer or Committee member of the club.

  • Are non-members of the insured club covered?

    It is accepted that before becoming a full member individuals may attend taster sessions. Insurers generally allow up to 3 sessions but do require that contact names and details are recorded and maintained.

  • Are spectators who are not members covered?

    If a spectator is injured (or in fact any member of the general public), and it is as a result of the negligence of the insured, then the insured person responsible for causing the injury will be covered in the event of a claim.

  • If the number of members in our club increases after I have taken out the insurance will they be covered?

    All full members of the club will be covered during the policy period provided you have selected the correct band of membership at the time the policy is taken out and additional members will automatically be included. At the renewal of the policy you should select the higher level of membership to accommodate the increase during the year.

  • Why do I need £5,000,000 limit of indemnity?

    In the event of a claim your limit of indemnity is the maximum your policy will pay. Court awards are increasing and, because of this, our advice would be to have a minimum of £5,000,000 indemnity on your policy.

  • Is the limit of indemnity the same for all covers provided by the Sports Liability policy?

    Public Liability £5 million per occurrence costs in addition
    Products Liability /Pollution £5 million any one period costs in addition
    Professional Indemnity including Libel and Slander £5 million per occurrence costs in addition
    Management Liability (where insured) £5 million any one period costs inclusive
    Abuse (where insured) £2.5 million any one period costs inclusive

    In addition to defence of injury /damage claims in a Civil Court, which are covered as part of the basic cover, the policy extends to include £250,000 in respect of defence of actions by the Health and safety at Work and Consumer protection legislation.

  • Does the policy cover anyone who is not a UK resident?

    An instructor must be a full-time UK resident to be eligible for the policy and clubs that require cover must be located in the UK.

  • I am an instructor, are substitutions automatically covered if I am ill or on holiday?

    No, any person who will be taking classes or sessions in your absence should have a policy in their own name to protect them against claims for negligence while providing coaching and tuition.

  • If I am injured can I claim on my policy?

    No. If you are injured you should seek legal advice on how to pursue a claim against the person responsible for causing your injury. The Sports Liability policy is a policy to protect the insured in the event that they are sued by another party for injury / or damage caused by negligence.

  • Does the Sports Liability policy provide cover anywhere in the world?

    A Club must have premises in the UK. An Instructor must be resident and operate from the UK. On this basis, the policy will cover the insured anywhere in the world (with certain exceptions in respect of USA/Canada) provided you are on an official trip undertaken and are participating in an insured activity.

  • Are there any excesses on the policy?

    No, there are no excesses applicable to any claim under the policy.

  • What does the club abuse cover provide?

    Abuse cover is imperative for clubs in view of the ever increasing responsibilities imposed by legislation. This provides protection for damages awarded against the club for mental or physical abuse. The risk is usually perceived around children or vulnerable adults, but in fact the cover provides for everyone. There is no cover for the individual accused or alleged to be the abuser.

  • Can I take out a policy to cover me for multiple sports on one policy?

    Yes. During the quotation process you will be asked to declare which sporting activities you require cover for. The website will allow you to select up to three sports. If you require cover or more than three please contact us on telephone number 0121 698 8050 or email

  • I have a UK passport but I live abroad, can I still get cover from you?

    Sports Liability cover can only cover persons who are resident in the UK.

  • I am moving out of the UK, will my policy still be valid?

    No. This is a Material Fact and you will need to advise us on telephone number 0121 698 8050 or email

  • I cannot see my sport listed; can you still provide cover to me?

    We aim to cover a wide range of sports other than motorised or aerial sports. If your sport is not listed then please contact us and we will do our best to make arrangements for you.

  • I am an instructor who arranges accommodation and travel as part of my instruction package for groups of people. Would I be covered under the Sports Liability policy if something goes wrong with these arrangements?

    These activities are specifically excluded by virtue of the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tour Regulations 1992. Further details of the implications of this can be obtained from Customer Support on 0121 698 8050

  • Our club sometimes organises social events which are not directly related to our sport. Would the Sports Liability policy cover us for these?

    Whilst the policy provides cover in respect of social events those events involving activities considered to be of a hazardous nature (e.g. bonfires and firework displays or use of inflatables) are excluded and must be referred to ourselves for consideration by contacting Customer Support on 0121 698 8050.


  • When do I need to tell you about accidents?

    You need to advise us of any incident which involves a member or a member of the public being seriously hurt. We have issued Incident Notification Guidelines in the Claims Advice document, which were sent to you with your policy. You can also access an additional copy of this Claims Advice. If you need further assistance and would like to discuss the incident with us please call us on 0121 698 8140.

    You should report all incidents, whether you think you may be at fault or not. You should not appoint your own legal representation.

  • Is there a time limit for making a claim under the policy?

    You should notify us as soon as you become aware of any serious injury or damage to someone else's property. If your cover is written on a 'claims made' wording, which means the policy must be in force at the time the incident occurs and the claim must be made and advised to the insurer whilst the policy is in force, it is vital that all incidents are reported as soon as you become aware of them.

  • I have received a letter from a solicitor from someone making a claim against me, what should I do?

    Speak to Howden Claim's Department as soon as possible on telephone number 0121 698 8140. They will advise you of what action to take.

Paying for your Policy

  • How do I purchase a Policy?

    Complete the quotation process to obtain your quotation – you will have the option to save your quote, which will be valid for 30 days or to purchase your policy immediately. If you have saved your quotation you can retrieve it by clicking on the link within the email sent enclosing your quotation or you can proceed through to purchase immediately.

  • Which Payment methods can I use?

    You can purchase your policy using either a credit or debit card.

  • I am trying to buy my policy on the website but it will not accept my debit/credit card, what can I do?

    During busy periods we sometimes experience slight delays. You can pay on-line using a Debit or Credit Card. Please ensure the card you are using is one which is accepted on our site. Please retry making payment, however, if you continue to be unsuccessful please contact us on 0121 698 8050

  • I'm having problems paying online – what should I do?

    If you are having problems paying online, please contact customer support on 0121 698 8050. When you contact us it helps if you can provide us with your quotation reference number as we can find your information more easily. A member of staff will guide you through the payment process and help resolve any issues that may occur.

After you purchase – what happens next?

  • I haven't received confirmation of my policy yet

    When you buy a policy with us, we will send you an email immediately attaching copies of your policy schedule and all documentation relevant to your insurance. You can also access your policy by logging into your account where all the documents are stored for your convenience

    If you prefer, we are able to send paper copies on request

  • How do I get my policy documents?

    When you buy a policy with us, we will send you an email immediately attaching copies of your policy schedule and all documentation relevant to your insurance. Copies are also stored within your online account. To access your account, go to the Login page. To login you will need the email address provided on the quotation form and the password you registered when you purchased the policy. If you are unsure which email address you gave, it will be the one linked to the email account to which we sent the confirmation of purchase email. If you cannot remember your password, click on request a password and we will email you a password. If you have any problems downloading your documents from your account, please email us at: quoting your policy number.

    If you prefer, we are able to send paper copies on request

  • Can I print my own policy documents?

    Yes you can print your own policy documents by logging into your online account.

  • I can't access my documents

    If you are unable to access your documents because of problems logging into your account, try re-setting your password by visiting the Login Page and following the instructions. If you can't locate your documents or open them whilst logged into your account, contact customer support on 0121 698 8050 or email at

    If you prefer, we are able to send paper copies on request

  • I can't log into my account

    Firstly please ensure you are using the correct email address. The one needed is the one you used when first getting quotes for your insurance or the email address that your policy documentation was sent to. If you are sure your email is correct, try re-setting your password by visiting the Login Page and following the instructions. If you are still unable to login, please contact customer support on 0121 698 8050 or email us at

  • What should I do if I have forgotten my password?

    For security reasons we do not keep a record of customer passwords therefore if you have forgotten your password you will need to visit the Login Page and following the instructions.

  • What should I do if I can't remember my username?

    This is the email address you gave at the time of requesting your quotation and the email address that your policy documentation was sent to. If you unable to remember it, please contact customer support on 0121 698 8050

Managing your Insurance Policy

  • Where can I get copies of my insurance documents?

    Your documents are stored in your online account, which means that you can access, download and print them at your convenience whenever you please. To login to your account, visit the Login Page.

    If you prefer, we are able to send paper copies on request

  • How can I make changes to my policy?

    If you would like to add a sport or other cover to your policy, or to increase the level of a cover you already have, please contact customer support on 0121 698 8050 or email us at

  • How will I know when to renew

    We will contact you by email in good time before your renewal date with instructions on how to renew your policy online. As it is so important to renew your cover before it ends we will send email reminders and by text, if you have opted into the text message service, to ensure you don't miss your renewal date.

  • If I have any questions about my policy who should I contact?

    If you have any questions about your insurance cover please contact customer support on 0121 698 8050

Amending your details

Renewing your policy

  • How do I know when my renewal date is due?

    Your renewal date is printed on your policy schedule which was sent to you via email when you purchased your cover and is also stored in your online account. We will send a renewal invitation email in good time before your renewal date.

  • How do I renew my policy?

    The renewal process is very simple. We will send you an email invitation in good time prior to renewal date. Just follow the instructions to login to your account where you will find some of the question set pre-populated from the information you submitted last year. You will need to go through the online questions to check that the details are up-to-date before your online renewal quotation is produced. If your expiry date has passed, you will need to contact customer support on 0121 698 8050

  • Why do I need to go through the quotation form again?

    You will find some of the question set pre-populated from the information you submitted last year. You will need to go through the online questions to check that the details are up-to-date before your online renewal quotation is produced. If your expiry date has passed, you will need to contact customer services on 0121 698 8050

Claiming on your insurance

  • How do I make a claim?

    It is important that all incidents that may lead to a claim are reported to us as soon as possible after the event.

    If you are in any doubt as to what action to take, or if you need to tell us about an incident, please contact the Claims Team on 0121 698 8140 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday or email us (email address is to inform of us of the details and we will tell you what to do next.

  • Can I report my claim online?

    No, you should contact our claims team on 0121 698 8140 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday or email us (email address is to inform of us of the details and we will tell you what to do next.

Cancelling my policy

  • How do I cancel my policy?

    Please send a formal email to instructing us to cancel your cover. The email should contain your name, policy number, cancellation date and the reason why you wish to cancel. We will arrange for the cancellation to be processed immediately.

  • How soon will I receive my refund?

    On receipt of your email instructing us to cancel your cover we will arrange to refund any monies owed to you.

If you have a problem or would like to give feedback

  • Who should I contact if I have a complaint?

    If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us quoting your policy number:

    Writing to: Business Risk, Howden Insurance Brokers Limited, One Creechurch Place, London, EC3A 5AF United Kingdom
    Telephoning: +44 (0)20 7623 3806
    Fax: +44 (0)20 7623 3807

    If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

  • I'd like to give some feedback – who should I contact?

    We welcome all feedback from customers and visitors to the website. Please email us at: We will ensure that your comments reach the right person.